Mom still a no-show after son found wandering in mall

Monday, February 11, 2008 | 4:27 p.m. CST; updated 5:45 a.m. CDT, Saturday, July 19, 2008

ST. LOUIS — Police still want to know why a 3-year-old boy was left alone at a suburban St. Louis shopping mall over the weekend. By Monday, the child’s mother was still refusing to show up and talk with officers.

The boy was discovered by mall employees at about 8:30 p.m. Saturday at NASCAR SpeedPark in the St. Louis Mills mall in Hazelwood, not long before the mall was to close. Mall security searched the area, seeking a parent or guardian, but couldn’t locate one. They notified Hazelwood police around 9:15 p.m.

The boy told police his name was “Cortez,” and officers determined he was 3, but his complete identity was unknown until nearly 21 hours later.

Police circulated his picture to the media, and his aunt called authorities at about 6 p.m. Sunday. The aunt verified that she, the boy’s mother and a group of children had been at the mall, Hazelwood police Lt. Ken Jewson said.

Soon after that, the mother, identified as 28-year-old Shameka Taylor, phoned police.

“She asked if she would be arrested,” Jewson said. Officers told her they wanted questions answered.

But by Monday morning, she still hadn’t shown up. Police were searching for her.

“Our job isn’t to convict anyone, or decide who gets custody, we just get into the facts,” Jewson said.

But Jewson said two warrants were already issued for Taylor’s arrest prior to the incident involving her son. One warrant was for a parole violation in 2002; the other was on suspicion in connection with a theft in St. Louis County.

Jewson described the boy as well-dressed and healthy. He said Cortez had been in fine spirits during his time with authorities.

For now, the child remains in protective custody with the Children’s Division of the Missouri Department of Social Services and has been placed in emergency foster care, Jewson said.

Department spokeswoman Sara Anderson would not confirm that, or additional details, by law.

A court hearing will determine whether the boy should be returned to his mother’s custody, police said.

Jewson said the child’s father told police he had been out of town and did not have custody of the boy.

A security official at the mall declined comment. Calls to NASCAR SpeedPark were not returned.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.