COLUMBIA — A city employee suffered chemical burns Monday morning at the Armory Sports Complex after the combination of two household chemicals resulted in a dangerous reaction.
On Sunday, employees poured a chemical drain-cleaning compound into a sink to fix a clog in the drain. On Monday morning, a city Public Works-Building Maintenance employee tried to clear the drain again by pouring a different chemical into the sink, according to a news release from the Columbia Fire Department.
The combination caused the chemicals to shoot back out of the sink and splashed the employee, who is receiving medical treatment.
Fire officials determined that the chemical compounds used were “Thrift” and “Drain Pro Gel,” according to the news release.
Firefighters remind residents to read all directions before using household chemicals. They should never be mixed because dangerous reactions may result, according to the release.