HALLSVILLE — A disabled man escaped a fire Tuesday afternoon by crawling out of the window of a residence northeast of Columbia.
Firefighters responded just after 2 p.m. to the fire at 8105 Highway HH in Hallsville, said Boone County Fire Protection District Chief Steve Paulsell.
Jeffrey Guyer, who has an amputated leg, escaped from the home just before firefighters arrived. He was treated on site for injuries and then transported by Boone Ambulance for observations because of smoke inhalation.
His three dogs also escaped the flames uninjured.
The fire, which resulted from a grease fire in the kitchen, caused heat and smoke damage throughout the residence, Paulsell said.
According to a release from the fire department, Guyer reported that he’d been cooking in his kitchen, stepped away and returned to find the fire on the stove. He tried to put the fire out himself but was unsuccessful.
The home is owned by Guyer’s mother-in-law, Nancy Gore. It is no longer habitable, Paulsell said.
Boone County Fire District responded with six fire trucks and 28 firefighters. They stayed on the scene for about two hours while the Columbia Fire Department sent aid.
Damages are estimated at $100,000, the release said.
No other injuries were reported.