advertisement

Room 100 down to no mold

Thursday, April 17, 2008 | 5:29 p.m. CDT; updated 2:24 a.m. CDT, Tuesday, July 22, 2008

COLUMBIA — The mold count in Benton Elementary School’s Room 100 is now zero, said Jack Jensen, who oversees elementary education for Columbia Public Schools.

Previously, the presence of mold was such that Renee Mottaz, the classroom’s teacher, was motivated to go before the Columbia School Board on Monday evening. Mottaz said she felt her students were suffering from the amount of mold in the air and showed books from the classroom that were warped by water and mold.

In her classroom, “Aspergillus/Penicillium like types” of mold were found to be at an elevated level compared with an outside air sample taken as a control, according to an independent testing service hired by the district, Environmental Consultants LLC.

The most common symptoms of exposure to those particular kinds of mold are “runny nose, eye irritation, cough, congestion and aggravation of asthma,” the report stated. However, “susceptibility varies with genetic predisposition, age, state of health and concurrent exposures.”

Information from the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration, which is not part of the report, says penicillium can cause dermatitis, which is swollen and itchy skin, and hypersensitivity pneumonitis, which can cause fever, chills, coughing and shortness of breath.

Environmental Consultants’ report noted that leaks in Benton’s roof might be causing the mold growth and that a trash can had been used to collect water dripping from the Room 100 ceiling during storms. The ceiling was also visibly damaged by water.

Construction on a new roof that was supposed to begin in August was started Wednesday. Ninety-five percent of the school’s roof will be replaced, Jensen said, as well as the carpet and ceiling in Room 100.

Because fixing the classroom ceiling will require “destructive investigation,” the report recommends that asbestos and lead-paint testing be conducted.

Benton principal Debby Barksdale said students will be back in that classroom by May 1, as long as the weather holds for construction.

In addition to the levels of mold, the consultants measured the “relative humidity, temperature, carbon dioxide” of the classroom, which were found to be within acceptable ranges. They also tested for carbon monoxide and found none.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Susan Brinchman April 17, 2008 | 7:58 p.m.

Our question is, how did these very high levels get down to zero, exactly, especially since the ceiling has likely not been taken out?

Sounds like this testing is like the District Testing article we have on our About Testing page on www.schoolmoldhelp.org. No place has zero mold - and that is a fact, there will always be mold spores in the air - it is elevated mold that is a problem.

The public should demand all mold test data and summaries, with information on just how the tests were made, with qualifications of those doing the testing. Further, what EXACTLY has the district done, in terms of maintenance, prior to this second test? What chemicals, encapsulants, or enzymes were used in this room? What is the MSDS sheet for each?

This is suspicious, to say the least.

(Report Comment)

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements