Gas leak prompts evacuation of Columbia Public Schools' administration building

Thursday, May 1, 2008 | 5:03 p.m. CDT; updated 12:20 a.m. CDT, Sunday, July 20, 2008

COLUMBIA — Employees at the Columbia Public Schools District’s administration building evacuated Thursday morning after contractors hit a gas line.

The Columbia Fire Department responded to the gas leak about 11:15 a.m., Columbia Fire Battalion Chief Steve Sapp said.

Employees knew workers had hit the gas line during construction and evacuated immediately from the building at 1818 W. Worley St.

There are about 50 people who work the in the building.

Sapp said it is not common for construction crews to hit gas lines, but it does happen.

They hit a service line and the incident “was really relatively minor,” Sapp said.

Employees working in the building evacuated before fire trucks arrived and were able to return to work at 11:39 a.m., said the district’s spokesperson, Michelle Baumstark.

— Missourian reporter Stacey Talarovich contributed to this report

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.