COLUMBIA — A Columbia firefighter was injured and later released from the hospital Saturday after an early blaze at a vacant home in central Columbia.
Columbia Fire Department Lt. Tom Ogden suffered second-degree burns to his hand Saturday morning while fighting a fire at 908 Madison St., according to a news release from the Fire Department.
Ogden was taken to University Hospital and received treatment in the burn unit.
Firefighters arrived at the scene at 4:48 a.m. and found flames already shooting through the roof of the home. Twenty-two firefighters had to use large streams of water outside the house to knock down and douse the flames, according to the release.
The assessed value of the home is $42,500, according to records at the Boone County assessor’s office. Damage to the home is estimated at $43,000, and it has been ruled a total loss.
Investigators with the Fire Department have determined that the fire was intentionally set with an “undetermined ignitable liquid,” according to the release.
Anyone with information regarding the fire is encouraged to call CrimeStoppers at 874-8477.