Unattended grill to blame for sparking fire

Monday, June 16, 2008 | 2:31 p.m. CDT; updated 9:16 a.m. CDT, Sunday, July 20, 2008

COLUMBIA — A Father’s Day barbecue took an unforeseen turn when a fire broke out at a southeast Columbia home Sunday.

Just after 7 p.m., the Columbia Fire Department responded to a report of an exploding gas grill at 2321 Deer Creek Court, a Fire Department news release said.

No one was injured during the fire.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the remnants of the grill and parts of the back deck, patio furniture and siding. Thermal imaging cameras were used to inspect the rest of the house for signs of fire, the release said.

Batchu Sudhir, the homeowner, told firefighters that drippings from lamb chops he was cooking on the grill ignited and caught the bottom of the grill on fire. Sudhir attempted to put the fire out while his wife called the firefighters. Sudhir and his family evacuated the house shortly before the grill exploded.

Investigators at the scene attributed the fire to unattended cooking. Damages were estimated at $10,000.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.