advertisement

Columbia Public Schools to auction off property

Sunday, June 22, 2008 | 10:13 p.m. CDT; updated 1:30 p.m. CDT, Tuesday, July 22, 2008

COLUMBIA — Vacant lots near several public schools, as well as a pair of properties with old schools on them, are up for auction this week by the Columbia Public School District, according to a release from Sherman Auction Service.

The eight properties up for sale are owned and maintained by the district. The Columbia School Board discussed and reviewed the properties at its June 18 meeting; the board agreed to auction the land off because it couldn’t find a value in keeping the properties.

IF YOU GO

WHAT: Real estate auction of 8 properties owned by Columbia Public Schools WHEN: Tuesday at 10 a.m. WHERE: Columbia Public Schools Administration Building, 1818 W. Worley

LIST OF PROPERTIES:

Lot 4, Oakland Place, a 90 ft. x 147.2 ft. vacant lot across from Oakland Junior High School Lot 5, Oakland Place, a 90 ft. x 147.2 ft. vacant lot across from Oakland Junior High School Lot 6, Oakland Place, a 90 ft. x 142 ft. vacant lot across from Oakland Junior High School Lot 1, Derby Ridge, a 70.08 ft. x 144.69 ft. vacant lot across from Derby Ridge Elementary School Lot 18, Citation Drive, a 65 ft. x 125 ft. vacant lot on the east side of Derby Ridge High School 13.42 acres of vacant land on Ballenger Lane, about 1 1/4 miles east of the bus barn on Clark Lane 0.79 acre tract located on Tract 1, Wade School Road, also known as Wade School 4.20 acres at 500 Strawn Road including a 7,260 square ft. building, also known as Strawn School


“The school board decided to use a public auction forum because it was the most effective method for the school district, and was a great way to involve the community in the process,” said Chester Edwards, director of building services for the district.

This is the first time the district has held a public auction involving land, Edwards said.

One of the properties to be auctioned off Tuesday contains Wade School, which lies just north of Columbia on the corner of Wade School Road and Akeman Bridge Road. In 1860, the school was granted the land; the property was given to the district in 1967 and was a public school through the early 1970s, said Nick Boren, chief operations officer.

Now the school’s windows are boarded up and the building has severe structural issues, in addition to roof problems.

Anyone interested in buying property is welcome to attend the auction, Edwards said. There are approximately five single lots that Edwards said might interest families who are building houses.

Buyers will be asked to pay for 10 percent of the property value at the auction and will be required to pay the other 90 percent within 30 days.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements