COLUMBIA — A fire Saturday morning left one man in the hospital with multiple burns.
Sam Buckin Sr., 54, was working on a car just after 8 a.m. Saturday in the driveway of his car rental business at 2115 Rangeline St. when a vehicle caught fire, saidSteven Sapp, Columbia Fire Department Battalion Chief.
Buckin tried using a fire extinguisher to put outa fire on the vehicle he was working on. In the process, he received burn injuries to his right and left forearms and hands, Sapp said. Buckin refused transportation from an on-scene ambulance and had a friend take him to University Hospital, according to the news release.
After unsuccessfully attempting to extinguish the fire, Sapp said the business receptionist called 911 at around 8:20 a.m. Motorists reported a vehicle on fire near the building, and additional fire units were dispatched, stated a press release from the Fire Department. When fire fighters arrived shortly after the call, they saw smoke and flames on the front and roof of the building. One Mercury passenger vehicle was fully involved in the fire. It sat in front of the bay doors to the repair shop, according to the release.
It took less than 10 minutes to extinguish the fire, Sapp said.
Minor smoke damage occurred in the office and storage rooms of the business, Sapp said. Fire damage was limited to the vehicle and the repair bay, and damage was estimated at $10,000 to $15,000, Sapp said.
Buckin’s burns are described as nonlife threatening, Sapp said. He is being treated at the George David Peak Memorial Burn Care Center at University Hospital.