COLUMBIA — An early morning fire at Oakland Junior High School resulted in less than $1,000 in damage, a Columbia Fire Department news release said.
At 3:18 a.m., fire crews responded to the school at 3405 Oakland Place and noticed light smoke in the mobile classroom building, the news release said.
Upon investigation, firefighters located the source of the smoke underneath the trailer where insulation had caught fire.
The smoldering insulation was extinguished in less than five minutes with no fire damage to the classroom, the news release said.
Damage to the underside of the trailer was confined to the insulation along the main steel floor beam of the trailer. The insulation was removed as a precaution. The cause of the fire is still under investigation; an electrician was scheduled to examine wiring Monday.
No summer classes were being held in the mobile classroom.