Barbecue grill causes minor apartment fire

Thursday, July 17, 2008 | 10:14 p.m. CDT; updated 1:47 p.m. CDT, Tuesday, July 22, 2008

COLUMBIA — No injuries were reported after a barbecue grill caused a small fire in a south Columbia apartment Thursday.

Columbia firefighters were called at 12:06 p.m. to 1909 Waverly Court, where they saw light smoke coming from a second-floor apartment, a Columbia Fire Department news release said. Firefighters found a smoldering fire in a space between the first and second floors.

The residents of the apartment said they used the grill on their deck Wednesday night. When they woke up at 11:00 a.m. Thursday, they noticed smoke inside the apartment and coming from the front deck.

The residents tried to put the fire out using pans of water for almost an hour before calling the Fire Department, the release said.

The fire resulted in an estimated $1,000 in damage. The building is owned by Calloway and Gallahan.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Mark Foecking July 18, 2008 | 10:49 a.m.

I'll bet they weren't supposed to be using a grill on their deck...

Now they know why.


(Report Comment)

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.