COLUMBIA — No injuries were reported after a barbecue grill caused a small fire in a south Columbia apartment Thursday.
Columbia firefighters were called at 12:06 p.m. to 1909 Waverly Court, where they saw light smoke coming from a second-floor apartment, a Columbia Fire Department news release said. Firefighters found a smoldering fire in a space between the first and second floors.
The residents of the apartment said they used the grill on their deck Wednesday night. When they woke up at 11:00 a.m. Thursday, they noticed smoke inside the apartment and coming from the front deck.
The residents tried to put the fire out using pans of water for almost an hour before calling the Fire Department, the release said.
The fire resulted in an estimated $1,000 in damage. The building is owned by Calloway and Gallahan.