Saturday standoff ends peacefully with arrest

Saturday, August 16, 2008 | 6:31 p.m. CDT; updated 7:11 p.m. CDT, Saturday, August 16, 2008

COLUMBIA - A Columbia man was arrested Saturday after an early-morning standoff with police, SWAT and Crisis Negotiation teams.

Police had been looking for Denico Sanchez Crawley, 21, since a June 3 shooting on Sanford Avenue in which he was suspected of firing into a vehicle.

On Saturday, Crawley pulled up to the drive-thru of a Taco Bell on Business Loop 70 at 1:12 a.m, according to a police news release.

A Taco Bell manager called the police when he noticed a handgun in Crawley's lap and a female passenger who appeared to be bound in the seat next to him.

Officers arrived on the scene about 10 minutes later, said Taco Bell employee John Bibby.

At 3:45 a.m., officers located the vehicle described as Crawley's, according to the release. Police tried to stop the vehicle and Crawley took off on foot near Ash Street and Ridgeway Avenue.

Some officers followed on foot, while others went on to a house in the 300 block of Sanford, where they knew Crawley had relatives. When they arrived, a male figure was seen passing by a window. And when three females left the residence, they confirmed that Crawley was inside, according to the release.

Crawley did not respond to phone contact or commands over the intercom to surrender. Officers confirmed that there were two outstanding felony warrants against him and then they called in the SWAT and Crisis Negotiation teams, according to the release.

The negotiation team contacted Crawley at 7:38 a.m. He surrendered to the SWAT Team at 7:45 a.m.

Crawley was arrested on suspicion of unlawful use of a weapon from the June 3 incident. Bond was set at $100,000.

Crawley was also arrested for a probation and parole warrant for a parole absconder, with original charges of distribution of a controlled substance and unlawful use of a weapon.

There was an additional charge on suspicion of possession of a controlled substance; Crawley was found to have a small amount of cocaine at the time of his arrest, according to the release.

Crawley was sent to Boone County Jail.

Police provided no information on the condition of the female who was riding in Crawley's car and who appeared to be bound. And no one was available from the Police Department to answer questions on Saturday.


Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.