advertisement

Smoke scare forces evacuation of MU dorm

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 | 1:01 p.m. CDT

COLUMBIA - The residents of Lathrop Hall evacuated the dormitory early Tuesday morning in response to a fire alarm, said Battalion Chief Steven Sapp of the Columbia Fire Department.

The alarm was triggered by smoke generated from a hazardous electrical configuration consisting of a room heater, cell phone charger and an extension cord, Sapp said.

There were no injuries or structural damage, Sapp said.

Firefighters responded to the alarm at 1:42 a.m. with three engines, one ladder truck, one heavy rescue vehicle and two staff vehicles. Sapp said this is a standard response to a commercial building.

Upon arrival, the first fire unit advanced to the second floor of the residence hall and reported light smoke. "There wasn't really a fire," Sapp said. "Just smoke."

Lathrop Hall residents were able to return to their rooms shortly after the Fire Department's departure.

 

 


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements