COLUMBIA — Every year from November to March, the flu season comes, sending people to clinics to get vaccinated. This year, there are no high-risk restrictions on the vaccine, so the Columbia/Boone County Health Department is encouraging everybody to get one. The shots will be available for $20 at health clinics around the county.
"This year we had more manufacturers than in years past, so the vaccine is more readily available," said Trina Teacutter, a registered nurse for the Columbia/Boone County Health Department . "Patients can receive either the shot or the nasal mist, and we can bill Medicare or Medicaid but are unable to bill private insurance companies."
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends children age six months to eight years receive two doses of the vaccine within a month of each other. Because two doses are recommended for this age group, which the CDC considers at higher risk for influenza, county flu clinics will not charge for the second dose, Teacutter said.
"If the child is receiving it for the first time or only received one the first year, it's recommended they receive two the following year," Teacutter said.
The Columbia/Boone County Health Department will also offer a pneumonia vaccine for $40. The county has scheduled some clinics into the evening hours to accommodate people's schedules.
Mass Flu Clinics will be held at the Columbia/Boone County Health Department , located at 1005 W. Worley St. on these dates:
- Tuesday, Oct. 14 from 8 to 11 a.m.
- Wednesday, Oct. 15 from 1 to 6 p.m.
- Monday, Oct. 20 from 2 to 7 p.m.
Clinics will also be held at the following locations:
- Thursday, Oct. 9 from 10 to 11 a.m. at Hallsville City Hall
- Thursday, Oct. 9 from noon to 1 p.m. at Harrisburg Christian Church
- Thursday, Oct. 9 from 2 to 3 p.m. at Rocheport Senior Housing
- Thursday, Oct. 16 from 10 to 11 am at Centralia Senior Center
- Thursday, Oct. 16 from 12 to 1:30 p.m. at Boone County offices in Centralia
- Wednesday, Oct. 22 from 4 to 6:30 p.m. at the Ashland Optimist Building
- Thursday, Oct. 16 from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. at the Sturgeon Senior Center
- Thursday, Oct. 23 from 11 a.m. to noon at the Ashland Senior Center
- Tuesday, Nov. 4 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the Columbia/Boone County Health Department .