advertisement

Carbon monoxide deaths remind boaters to take precaution

Wednesday, October 8, 2008 | 1:41 p.m. CDT; updated 3:24 p.m. CDT, Wednesday, October 8, 2008

ST. LOUIS — Experts are renewing calls for boaters to be aware of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning after the weekend deaths of four people in a houseboat.

The four were out for a birthday outing with their boat moored Sunday on an island near Hamburg, Ill. Friends found the bodies of Jody Ryan, who would have been 39 on Tuesday, along with her 48-year-old husband Dale Ryan, her 50-year-old brother, William "Billy'' Boehm, and his wife, 49-year-old Ruth Boehm.

The houseboat had a carbon monoxide detector, but the device had no batteries.

The U.S. Coast Guard has issued warnings about the dangers of carbon monoxide. The Missouri State Water Patrol also urges boaters to take precautions.

 

 

 


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements