ST. LOUIS — Fire investigators in St. Louis say a 7-year-old boy who died in a house fire Saturday evening was playing with a fireplace lighter or matches when the blaze started.
KSDK-TV reports Devon Cage was trapped while his grandmother and other family members, including two other children, were able to escape. They were given oxygen at the scene.
A fire spokesman told KSDK the boy was playing with a fireplace lighter in the basement. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported that investigators said the boy was autistic and had been playing with matches.
After firefighters removed Devon from the home, he was taken to a St. Louis hospital and later pronounced dead from smoke inhalation.
Firefighters say the home had no working smoke detectors.