I am writing with an urgent plea. It is to encourage local residents to step forward to help the Central Missouri Humane Society, a private, non-profit agency that has provided a very significant service to our community for the last 65 years. It receives about 9,000 animals a year, works very hard to find them homes and engages in efforts to educate the community regarding the importance of spaying and neutering pets. Finally, and very importantly, without the humane society, thousands of unwanted dogs and cats would be abandoned in mid-Missouri. We never turn an animal away.
Due to the steadily increasing number of animals it receives, as well as to rising costs of food and supplies, the humane society is having great difficulty accommodating all the demands that is placed upon its facility, staff and resources. In addition, the shelter itself is old and hard to maintain.
Many communities have new shelters and better resources to support their Humane Societies. We can do the same here. If you want to help, I encourage you to consider doing one of the following:
- Join the Central Missouri Humane Society Friends for the Animals, a newly formed fundraising arm of the Central Missouri Humane Society.
- Become a “Shelter Me” Sponsor and cover the monthly cost of a kennel at the shelter for a dog, cat or other small animal.
- Memorialize your beloved companions on the Central Missouri Humane Society Wall of Memory.
- Provide products or professional services to help maintain our outdated facility.
- And importantly, give a financial gift to help us build a new shelter or to create an endowment that will provide ongoing operating expenses.
To learn about more these opportunities, please contact Patty Forister, executive director, Central Missouri Humane Society, at 443-7387. Whatever you do, it will be greatly appreciated by all the thousands of animals who need our support.