For the last several months, there’s been a lot of talk about change.
This is an invitation to share your thoughts in the coming weeks with other readers.
Tell us: What kind of change do you want to see in 2009?
Submissions will be published at ColumbiaMissourian.com and in the Missourian starting on New Year's Day. All we ask is that you sign your name and provide a telephone number (not printed; just there in case we have a question).
To send in your submission:
Postal delivery: Letter to Editor, P.O. Box 917, Columbia, MO 65205
Questions? Send an e-mail to Jake Sherlock, opinion editor, at SherlockJ@missouri.edu.
Barack Obama and Jay Nixon both ran on the notion that Missourians wanted a new direction. For that matter, so did John McCain and Kenny Hulshof. Heck, every politician promised change in one way, shape or form.
With the new year ahead, change is likely to be on our minds. Some of us think about changes promised by newly elected officials. Some of us ponder how to change ourselves for the better through resolutions. The civic-minded among us are likely to contemplate how to change Columbia and Boone County for the better.
With that thought in mind, I hope you’ll accept this invitation to share your thoughts on change in the coming weeks.
The topic: What kind of change do you want to see in 2009?
That’s a mighty broad topic, but everyone can participate. Regardless of your political bent, whether you’re young or old, new to the town or a longtime resident, I know you have an opinion. So why not share it? To quote Plato: “Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance.”
In case you’re in need of inspiration, look no further than the comments left recently at ColumbiaMissourian.com. Here are a few examples:
- “My view is instead of making (Douglass Park) so cutsie tootsie, why not get the crime under control first and foremost so it will be safe for those things the city wants to do?”
- “What makes members of these organizations think they are as, or more, qualified to determine proper usage of a Taser than are trained law enforcement officers and officials?”
- “Go ahead and make fun of the air service in Columbia, Mo. Without the continuation and support of the quality of air service, Columbia will go nowhere.”
- “The Humane Society takes in about 22 animals a day. If they instituted a no-kill policy, what would they do with all of those animals?”
- “It's hard to miss the sad irony of a hiring freeze the same week that the football coach might get a raise from $1.85 million to $2.5 million.”
Do any of those topics resonate with you or get your dander up? If so, speak up. And if not, speak up about a topic that does.
For this project, let’s take advantage of all the bells and whistles we can. Pick the medium you’re most comfortable with and share your thoughts. Maybe it’s through a video diary or a podcast. Maybe it’s through illustration or animation. Or maybe it’s via the good ol’ written word. The important thing is to express it.
All I ask is that you keep profanities and personal attacks out of your work. Please share your name with readers (no anonymous submissions) and provide a phone number for verification (it won’t be published). The box to the left includes all the contact info you should need.
I look forward to seeing your ideas about the changes we need here in Boone County, in Missouri, the country and the world. Hopefully we can share enough opinions to find some common ground between all of us.
Now that’s change I know I can get behind. How about you?