COLUMBIA – An apartment building fire Wednesday afternoon in northeast Columbia caused $30,000 worth of damage but was contained to the attic, according to a news release from the Columbia Fire Department.
Firefighters were called at 1:40 p.m. to The Links apartment complex in the 5400 block of Clark Lane. The department requested a second alarm at 1:47 p.m. The fire on the west side of the building's attic was under control in about 15 minutes.
Six occupants of the 12-apartment building were home at the time of the fire, but none were injured. No fire damage was reported in any of the apartments.
Department investigators determined that the fire began on the 2nd floor common porch area and was caused by a discarded cigarette, according to the release.
Damage was originally estimated at between $10,000 and $15,000, but further investigation of the roof and apartments revealed more damage.
Residents were allowed back into their apartments late Wednesday afternoon, but Links management has placed residents in other units for the next 24 to 48 hours until their units can be cleaned and repaired.