COLUMBIA — Firefighters responded Saturday evening to reports of a fire on the 3400 block of Shoemaker Dr.
Residents Robert and Kim Humphrey placed an emergency call at 6:56 p.m. that a fire had caught in their attached garage. The fire was discovered when smoke was seen wafting in around the door between their house and garage. By the time firefighters arrived, only light smoke remained.
Robert Humphrey had battled the flames with small buckets of water before the responding units were able to get there. He suffered minor smoke inhalation, and refused on-the-scene treatment from University Health Paramedics.
Investigators concluded the fire was started by a decorative candle left atop a work bench. Along with the work bench and nearby wall, a vehicle in the garage was also damaged. However, the extent of the damage was not enough to force the Humphreys to stay elsewhere for the evening. The total cost of damages is estimated at $15,000.