advertisement

Small fire damages garage

Sunday, December 7, 2008 | 3:40 p.m. CST; updated 11:11 p.m. CST, Sunday, December 7, 2008

COLUMBIA — Firefighters responded Saturday evening to reports of a fire on the 3400 block of Shoemaker Dr.

Residents Robert and Kim Humphrey placed an emergency call at 6:56 p.m. that a fire had caught in their attached garage. The fire was discovered when smoke was seen wafting in around the door between their house and garage. By the time firefighters arrived, only light smoke remained.

Robert Humphrey had battled the flames with small buckets of water before the responding units were able to get there. He suffered minor smoke inhalation, and refused on-the-scene treatment from University Health Paramedics.

Investigators concluded the fire was started by a decorative candle left atop a work bench. Along with the work bench and nearby wall, a vehicle in the garage was also damaged. However, the extent of the damage was not enough to force the Humphreys to stay elsewhere for the evening. The total cost of damages is estimated at $15,000.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements