Kitchen fire on Ash Street contained

Monday, December 8, 2008 | 8:10 p.m. CST

COLUMBIA — A kitchen fire on Monday evening in an apartment at 202 W. Ash St. was contained prior to arrival by firefighters, according to a news release from the Columbia Fire Department.

The fire caused moderate smoke damage in the home. There were no injuries, and damage is estimated at $5,000, the release said. The apartment building is owned by AMAX Properties L.L.C.

The apartment occupant, Connie Thompson, told fire crews that she was heating cooking oil on the stove and became distracted, according to the release. She noticed the fire after the smoke alarm sounded. A neighbor called 9-1-1 for assistance shortly after 5 p.m. Monday. Thompson and her 3-year-old daughter were in the apartment at the time.

The firefighters used electric fans to remove the remaining smoke from the building, the release said. They used thermal imaging to ensure there was no fire in the wall or near the stove.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.