Burning candle leads to fire in Columbia home

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 | 1:53 p.m. CST; updated 5:44 p.m. CST, Tuesday, January 20, 2009

COLUMBIA — An early morning fire caused damage to a residential structure in Columbia on Tuesday. According to a news release from the Columbia Fire Department, the fire was reported at 2:36 a.m. at a home at 216 S. Fifth Street.

The fire was discovered in a bedroom by occupant Megan Jacob, who said that she had been sleeping and awoke to flames on her bed and window curtains, according to the release. The fire had already been extinguished when the fire department arrived, according to the release.

No one was injured in the fire, but the estimated damage to the home is $1,000, the release said. A burning candle placed too close to the window curtains has been determined as the cause of the fire.


Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.