advertisement

Embers stirred by wind spark field fire

Friday, January 23, 2009 | 4:23 p.m. CST; updated 5:38 p.m. CST, Saturday, January 24, 2009

COLUMBIA — Embers left over from a controlled burn were stirred up by the wind and ignited a field on Boothe Lane in Columbia Friday , according to Boone County Fire Protection Division District Chief Gale Blomenkamp.

Three Boone County fire engines responded to the call placed at 11:38 a.m., and the responders were able to subdue the fire by 2:33 p.m.

Though the fire, which spread across 3.5 acres, did not harm any people or buildings, it did consume 30 large bales of hay, valued at around $50 each.

The property’s owner spread out the bales and allowed them to burn out on their own.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements