JACKSON — A southeast Missouri man will spend 30 days in jail for poisoning a neighbor's dog.
The sentence was handed down Wednesday after 58-year-old Ralph Ziegler pleaded guilty to one count of animal abuse. His attorney called the sentence "gross overkill."
Lola, a German shepherd mix, died in November after eating ribs laced with antifreeze. Ziegler and the dog's owners, Brian and Mindy Hodges, are neighbors in Cape Girardeau.
Ziegler confessed he left the plate of ribs out for the dog because the animal barked at night. He apologized during the hearing.
In addition to jail time, Ziegler was placed on probation for two years and ordered to pay the Hodges $1,650 for veterinarian care, cremation bills and the cost of a new dog.