advertisement

Apartment fire might have been caused by unattended cooking

Saturday, March 14, 2009 | 4:21 p.m. CDT; updated 4:55 p.m. CDT, Saturday, March 14, 2009

COLUMBIA — An apartment fire in central Columbia on Friday appears to be related to unattended cooking, according to a Columbia Fire Department news release. No one was injured in the afternoon fire.

At 4:20 p.m., fire crews responded to a reported fire in Apartment G at 319 N. Garth Ave. An assistant fire marshal arrived on the scene immediately after dispatch and reported heavy smoke coming from the west end of the complex. The marshal reported that someone might still have been in the apartment.

After arriving, fire crews located the fire in the apartment’s kitchen and quickly extinguished it. Crews searched both levels of the apartment and could not locate anyone inside the building.

Fire crews located the apartment’s resident, whose name is not available, after completing the search.

The apartment sustained heavy fire damage to the kitchen and smoke damage on both levels. A damage estimate was not available as of Saturday afternoon, Battalion Chief Gary Warren said. No other apartments were affected.

According to the release, the apartments did not have automatic sprinklers because they were constructed before code required the devices.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements