advertisement

More than $100 million to be cut from Missouri's budget

Friday, June 12, 2009 | 2:17 p.m. CDT

JEFFERSON CITY — Gov. Jay Nixon's budget director says more than $100 million will be cut from Missouri's budget that takes effect July 1.

Lawmakers approved a $23 billion operating budget and an additional $600 million over two years for a series of special projects.

Budget director Linda Luebbering said Friday that Nixon will trim from both, but she did not say what would be cut. Safe from trimming is Metro public transit in St. Louis, construction at the Bellefontaine Habilitation Center and proven economic development items.

Missouri budgets run from July 1 through June 30.

Luebbering said the spending cuts are needed because of sagging revenue. The current budget was based on 3.4 percent growth. But revenue will likely be 6.7 percent lower than last year.

 


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements