City seeks applicants for multiple board vacancies

Police oversight board, planning group among opportunities
Thursday, August 20, 2009 | 12:01 a.m. CDT

COLUMBIA — The Columbia city clerk is seeking applications for vacancies on various advisory boards and commissions, including the Citizens Police Review Board and the Comprehensive Plan Task Force.

People interested in filling the positions must return applications to the city clerk no later than noon Sept. 4. The clerk's office is on the fourth floor of the Daniel Boone City Building, 701 E. Broadway.

The city needs eight people to serve on the Citizens Police Review Board; their terms will expire two, three or four years after the initial appointment. The board will review appeals of police chief decisions on alleged misconduct by police officers. It also will host public meetings and create educational programs for residents.

Members of the board must be residents of Columbia and registered to vote. They cannot be employed by the city, be a party to any pending litigation against the city, be an elected office holder or be a candidate for elected public office, according to a news release from the city. Applicants for the review board will be subject to a criminal background check.

Fifteen slots are available on the new Comprehensive Plan Task Force. That group will be charged with helping the City Council and the Planning and Zoning Commission develop a new comprehensive growth plan for the city.

There also are openings on the Bicycle and Pedestrian Commission, the Columbia/Boone County Board of Health, the Board of Mechanical Examiners, the Building Construction Codes Commission, the Community Development Commission, the Convention and Visitors Advisory Board, the Cultural Affairs Commission, the Internet Citizens Advisory Group, the New Century Fund Board, the Personnel Advisory Board and the Public Communications Resource Advisory Committee.

Applications are available on the City Council page at or in the Columbia city clerk's office. For more information, you can call the clerk at 874-7208.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.