advertisement

Residents' cooking causes fire in Columbia duplex

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 | 10:05 p.m. CDT; updated 11:08 p.m. CDT, Wednesday, August 26, 2009

COLUMBIA — A cooking fire in a north Columbia duplex displaced three MU students Wednesday evening.

The students, who lived at 5119 Alpine Ridge Drive, were trying to make crab rangoons when the cooking oil caught fire, according to the residents.  

“They attempted to put it out with a towel and baking soda and looked for a fire extinguisher,” said Gary Warren, Columbia Fire Department battalion chief.

When that didn’t work, one of the students called 911 and everyone evacuated.

In addition to the three women, two others were inside the unit when the fire started. All five occupants left the building without injuries.

As crews responded to the scene, smoke was visible from Derby Ridge Drive. City and county fire departments worked together to put out the fire, Warren said.

In addition to smoke damage, all of the siding from the unit burned off, and the fire spread to the attic. The damage was too extensive for the occupants to re-enter the unit Wednesday night.

“Nearly all of their belongings are lost,” Warren said.

The attached structure had no visible damage, but the siding on the adjacent duplex was partially melted.

Damage estimates weren't available as of the news deadline.

In a situation like this one, Warren said the appropriate response would be to turn the stove off, cover it and evacuate.

He also said it is important for people to have a fire extinguisher handy.

“Everyone should have an extinguisher,” he said. “There’s really no excuse.”


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Corey Hromek August 28, 2009 | 2:32 p.m.

Great article!

(Report Comment)

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements