advertisement

UPDATE: Fire sprinkler soaks Missouri State Historical Society documents

Thursday, October 1, 2009 | 12:01 a.m. CDT

COLUMBIA — A malfunctioning sprinkler head reduced some historical documents kept by the Missouri State Historical Society to waterlogged paper and soggy cardboard Wednesday evening.

Columbia firefighters arrived at Ellis Library after receiving a report of a fire alarm sounding in the library. The crews found the source of the alarm to be an activated sprinkler head in a storage room used by the historical society to hold documents. The society is based in the lower level of the library.

“There was no fire,” Capt. Eric Hartman said. “It was some sort of mechanical failure in the head, which did cause water discharge. There are a significant number of historical documents and books that are water-soaked.”

Firefighters shut off the sprinkler head and began cleaning the storage room. Historical society staff rushed to the site and began restoration work on the documents, which included Missouri government records and reports from state auditors.

"In some cases, they may not be salvageable," Executive Director Gary Kremer said. "We aren't certain yet, but many of these may be duplicate copies. If that's the case, it's still not good because these are permanent records, and if you only have one or two copies of something, forever is a long time."

While the historical society staff sorted through what could be saved and what could not, fans and dehumidifiers were used to remove moisture from the air.

Associate Director Lynn Wolf Gentzler was the first person notified when the alarms began going off. 

"I was shocked," she said. "I put on clothes I knew I could work in. We came down to see what happened, and then began calling staff members to come in and help."

Wolf Gentzler said she does not know exactly how long it will take to clean up the soaked documents.

"It'll take several days because we'll have to go through things that are slightly damp and monitor the humidity and make sure there is no mold growth," she said. "There are a variety of things that will have to be done after the initial response."

Because of the historical nature of the documents, it’s impossible to put a dollar amount on the damage that has been caused at this point, Hartman said.

In order to restore some of the damp papers, the staff of the historical society will be freezing and drying the documents.

Hartman said about three shelves of books and documents were soaked. No one was in the room when the sprinkler head was triggered.

Kremer said the damage could have been worse, but he's concerned about a repeat of the incident.

"If the same system of sprinklers is throughout the facility, there are rooms — for example our art gallery — has tens of millions of dollars of artwork in it," Kremer said. "If the sprinklers were to malfunction there, that would be a catastrophe."


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Charles Dudley Jr October 1, 2009 | 4:41 a.m.

Just Bill Watkins and The Butterfly to use their super bureaucratically attained powers of the Eminent Domain and just move it all into the now failing Yozeum Building and get it over with.

We all know you are chomping at the bit after that failed land grab they attempted for you.

(Report Comment)
George Church October 1, 2009 | 1:20 p.m.

Sprinklers are supposed to be inspected and tested regularly. When they get to be 50 years old, a sample should be sent to UL for testing. I've seen 65 year old sprinklers pass those tests. It is unlikely it just "let loose" from old age, they're not candidates for Depends or anything. Improper inspection, testing and maintenance? Someone whack it with a broom handle? Chances of it just "letting loose" are 1 in 16 million, according to industry statistics.

And all that artwork getting wet is a lot better than it getting burnt. You can't dry out ashes and get your stuff back. Or your kids, wife, etc. i if your house were to catch fire. Worried about a flood? Ok, so you're not going to have indoor plumbing?

glc
sprinkler contractor

(Report Comment)

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements