COLUMBIA – Hickman High School was evacuated at 1:40 p.m. on Monday after several staff members smelled a strong gas odor, Principal Mike Jeffers said.
By the time the Columbia Fire Department, AmerenUE and Columbia Public Schools Building Services arrived, the smell had dissipated. A complete sweep of the building was conducted and no significant gas leak was found, Capt. Eric Hartman of the Columbia Fire Department said.
The administration received clearance and instructed students and faculty to reenter the building at 2:20 p.m., Jeffers said.
“Anytime we smell gas, we always evacuate and have it checked out to make sure it’s safe,” Jeffers said. “It’s better to be safe than sorry.”