advertisement

French fries cause grease fire in Columbia home

Monday, October 5, 2009 | 4:14 p.m. CDT; updated 5:36 p.m. CDT, Monday, October 5, 2009
Columbia firefighters were called to 1415 Sylvan Lane to put out a fire caused by french fry grease on Monday. The fire was extinguished within five minutes of the firefighters arrival. There was fire damage to the kitchen and smoke damage to the rest of the house but no reported injuries.

COLUMBIA — A grease fire damaged a Columbia home Monday afternoon.

Columbia firefighters responded to a 911 call from a rental property near the intersection of Sylvan and Clark lanes.

According to Fire Department Capt. Eric Hartman, tenant Shavon Townsend left the house for a personal appointment after using grease to cook french fries. Hartman said Townsend remembered she left the stove on and returned to the housethat upon arrival was filled with smoke.

Townsend dialed 911 at 3:03 p.m., and the first vehicle arrived on the scene at 3:07 p.m. Hartman said the fire was under control within five minutes.

The unattended cooking caused fire damage to the kitchen and smoke damage to the rest of the house. Total damage is estimated at $5,000, Hartman said.

There were no reported injuries.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements