COLUMBIA — A grease fire damaged a Columbia home Monday afternoon.
Columbia firefighters responded to a 911 call from a rental property near the intersection of Sylvan and Clark lanes.
According to Fire Department Capt. Eric Hartman, tenant Shavon Townsend left the house for a personal appointment after using grease to cook french fries. Hartman said Townsend remembered she left the stove on and returned to the housethat upon arrival was filled with smoke.
Townsend dialed 911 at 3:03 p.m., and the first vehicle arrived on the scene at 3:07 p.m. Hartman said the fire was under control within five minutes.
The unattended cooking caused fire damage to the kitchen and smoke damage to the rest of the house. Total damage is estimated at $5,000, Hartman said.
There were no reported injuries.