advertisement

Attic fire damages Columbia home

Friday, October 16, 2009 | 9:35 p.m. CDT

COLUMBIA — Fire investigators determined a house fire at 8 Fleming Dr. was caused by an electrical malfunction and that the fire began in the attic above the garage Friday afternoon.

The fire, which started around 5:30, caused about $20,000 in damage to the attic and its contents, the news release said.

The residents said they had experienced electrical issues in the house before they smelled smoke, the release said. They called Boone Electric Cooperative, their electrical provider. When the company informed the residents there was smoke coming from the roof, the residents vacated the home and called 911.

When fire units arrived, the residents were standing outside and both smoke and fire were coming out of the roof. The fire was extinguished in about 10 minutes, and firefighters spent the following hour removing insulation from the attic. No one was hurt.

The residents are staying with family members in the area until they are able to return to the house.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements