COLUMBIA — Fire investigators determined a house fire at 8 Fleming Dr. was caused by an electrical malfunction and that the fire began in the attic above the garage Friday afternoon.
The fire, which started around 5:30, caused about $20,000 in damage to the attic and its contents, the news release said.
The residents said they had experienced electrical issues in the house before they smelled smoke, the release said. They called Boone Electric Cooperative, their electrical provider. When the company informed the residents there was smoke coming from the roof, the residents vacated the home and called 911.
When fire units arrived, the residents were standing outside and both smoke and fire were coming out of the roof. The fire was extinguished in about 10 minutes, and firefighters spent the following hour removing insulation from the attic. No one was hurt.
The residents are staying with family members in the area until they are able to return to the house.