advertisement

Families left without home after suburban St. Louis apartment fire

Monday, October 19, 2009 | 8:19 a.m. CDT; updated 9:34 a.m. CDT, Monday, October 19, 2009

SHREWSBURY — Investigators have found that a Shrewsbury apartment fire that left 20 people without a place to stay was sparked by a space heater. No one was injured.

The fire happened Sunday morning at the River Crest Apartments in suburban St. Louis. Investigators told KSDK-TV that the fire began when a blanket was too close to a space heater in a child's room. The child alerted his parents who tried to put the fire out before escaping.

Neighbor Travis Hall and his pregnant girlfriend were trapped with their kids in their second-floor apartment. Hall said he tied the children into sheets and lowered them down, before firefighters were able to send a ladder up for the adults. About 50 people were evacuated from the burning building and two others.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements