advertisement

Mislaid clothing causes fire at Worley Street home

Monday, November 9, 2009 | 1:12 p.m. CST; updated 3:25 p.m. CST, Friday, November 13, 2009

CLARIFICATION: Clothing left too close to a water heater started a fire at 1110 W. Worley St. Monday morning, Columbia Fire Department spokesman Steven Sapp said. An earlier version of this story said the clothing was pressed against the water heater.

COLUMBIA — Clothing left too close to a water heater started a fire that caused nearly $10,000 in damage to a Columbia residence at 1110 W. Worley St. on Monday morning, Columbia Fire Department spokesman Steven Sapp said.

The fire spread from the utility room to a bedroom, but residents Arthur and Deanna Trass escaped after they were alerted by smoke detectors, Sapp said.

The Fire Department received a call about the fire at 7:16 a.m. Firefighters arrived and extinguished the fire in less than 10 minutes, Sapp said.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements