advertisement

Grease fire results in melted appliances, no injuries

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 | 6:42 p.m. CST

COLUMBIA –A unattended pan of grease on a stove caused a kitchen fire in a Columbia townhome Wednesday but no one was injured.

Fire officials received a call at 3:12 p.m. reporting a commercial structure fire at 400 W. Old Plank Road, where the Brookside Townhomes complex is located. Both the Columbia Fire Department and Boone County Protection District were dispatched.

Columbia Fire Department Capt. Eric Hartman said smoke was visible from outside the home when firefighters arrived on the scene. Residents had already evacuated the building.

The fire was under control in about five minutes and damage was confined to the kitchen area.

“There were minor sheet rock damages and a few appliances damaged,” said Brookside Townhomes Property Manager Jennifer Stultz. “The microwave and stove were pretty much melted.”

The damage estimates haven't been released. The fire did not affect any other townhomes.

Officials said the residents should be able to return to their home in a day or two after the area has been cleaned and inspected.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

K Edwards November 12, 2009 | 10:24 a.m.

Check out the StoveTop FireStop. It's an automatic fire suppressor for your cooktop about the size of a tuna can and magnetizes underneath the venthood. When flame activated it releases a fire suppressing powder to put out the flames. They're only about $45 - total lifesaver.

(Report Comment)

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements