COLUMBIA –A unattended pan of grease on a stove caused a kitchen fire in a Columbia townhome Wednesday but no one was injured.
Fire officials received a call at 3:12 p.m. reporting a commercial structure fire at 400 W. Old Plank Road, where the Brookside Townhomes complex is located. Both the Columbia Fire Department and Boone County Protection District were dispatched.
Columbia Fire Department Capt. Eric Hartman said smoke was visible from outside the home when firefighters arrived on the scene. Residents had already evacuated the building.
The fire was under control in about five minutes and damage was confined to the kitchen area.
“There were minor sheet rock damages and a few appliances damaged,” said Brookside Townhomes Property Manager Jennifer Stultz. “The microwave and stove were pretty much melted.”
The damage estimates haven't been released. The fire did not affect any other townhomes.
Officials said the residents should be able to return to their home in a day or two after the area has been cleaned and inspected.