COLUMBIA — Almeta Crayton wishes her Everyone Eats! program wasn't so popular.
"When (attendance) goes up, that means that we have a problem in this city," she said.
Crayton, the former First Ward councilwoman, holding a fundraiser with music and snacks on Saturday to collect money and food for the event.
Everyone Eats at a glance:
- The program aims to give hungry Columbians a Thanksgiving meal, complete with turkey and fixings.
- The fundraiser will be from noon to 7 p.m. Saturday at Nephew's Night Life, 1213 Business Loop 70 E.. Admission is free but donations are encouraged.
- Last year, the event distributed 2,000 baskets, and 300 people showed up to eat on Thanksgiving Day.
- Crayton said the program has expanded over its 12-year history.
- "There's more to it than a turkey," Crayton said. She said this might be the only food that children eat over their Thanksgiving break.
- She suggests bringing canned goods or anything that might go into a Thanksgiving basket.