Today's question: Should the Catholic Church halt charity work in protest of a gay marriage ordinance?

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 | 1:28 p.m. CST; updated 2:07 p.m. CST, Wednesday, November 18, 2009

In response to a proposed ordinance that would allow same-sex marriage, The Catholic Archdiocese of Washington threatened to stop feeding the city's homeless through Catholic Charities Washington. This decision could affect tens of thousands of people, according to the Washington Post.

The church said the ordinance, which must be approved by the D.C. City Council, would possibly force them to recognize same-sex marriages, and it wouldn't be able to keep city contracts. A spokeswoman said the church was worried about things such as giving medical benefits to same-sex couples and adoptions for same-sex couples.

Although the proposed D.C. ordinance would go much further, Columbia instituted a same-sex partner registry earlier this year with little fanfare or debate. The ordinance gives partners a document that can be used for employee and health care benefits.

How well does the Catholic Church's decision match up with Christian values?

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.