advertisement

Health officials warn of carbon monoxide dangers

Friday, November 27, 2009 | 9:33 a.m. CST

JEFFERSON CITY — State health officials say Missourians need to be sure their furnaces are working correctly to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

The gas is odorless and invisible but can kill. Last year, 49 people in the U.S. died from exposure to carbon monoxide and another 287 were treated in hospital emergency rooms. Carbon monoxide can be released into homes when gas, natural gas, wood and other fuels are burned. Symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure include sleepiness and nausea.

Health officials encourage people to install carbon monoxide detectors that work like smoke detectors and sound an alarm. Missourians also should have their heating and ventilation system checked annually.

 


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements