advertisement

Springfield woman dies in early morning house fire

Sunday, December 20, 2009 | 4:17 p.m. CST; updated 5:23 p.m. CST, Sunday, December 20, 2009

SPRINGFIELD — An early morning house fire in Springfield has left one woman dead and another seriously injured.

Acting Battalion Chief Ken Scott of the Springfield Fire Department said the fire was reported shortly after 4:30 a.m. Sunday.

He told the Springfield News-Leader that a woman whose body was found in a back bedroom died of smoke inhalation. Scott said the woman who was injured appeared to have re-entered the house to help.

The names of the victims were not immediately released, pending notification of relatives.

A man was also in the home when the fire started, but there were no reports that he was injured.

The fire is under investigation. But Scott says it appeared to have started in the front half of the house, where there were multiple extension cords.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements