SPRINGFIELD — An early morning house fire in Springfield has left one woman dead and another seriously injured.
Acting Battalion Chief Ken Scott of the Springfield Fire Department said the fire was reported shortly after 4:30 a.m. Sunday.
He told the Springfield News-Leader that a woman whose body was found in a back bedroom died of smoke inhalation. Scott said the woman who was injured appeared to have re-entered the house to help.
The names of the victims were not immediately released, pending notification of relatives.
A man was also in the home when the fire started, but there were no reports that he was injured.
The fire is under investigation. But Scott says it appeared to have started in the front half of the house, where there were multiple extension cords.