UPDATE: Purple Heart, funeral flag survive Wednesday morning fire

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 | 7:24 p.m. CST; updated 12:57 p.m. CST, Friday, January 8, 2010
The remnants of a home gym that was destroyed in an early morning fire in a home on Dickinson Court are just a minor part of the damage caused by the fire. The Columbia Fire Department thinks the fire was set intentionally and that the home was burglarized.

COLUMBIA — As John Baker surveyed the fire damage in his daughter’s home on Wednesday morning, one item stood out: A wooden chest in the basement that held a Purple Heart and the funeral flag of a fallen soldier.

The heirlooms were reminders of the life and military service of Steven Fitzmorris, a specialist in the U.S. Army who died in Baghdad in August 2008. The house in northeast Columbia belonged to the soldier’s wife, Samantha Baker Fitzmorris.


Related Media

Related Articles

Baker said his daughter purchased the two-story house at 2107 Dickinson Court with money she received from the government after her husband’s death.

Samantha Baker Fitzmorris, 24, was visiting friends in Colorado when the fire broke out about 4 a.m. Wednesday. Her children, Joshua, 5, and Mykenzee, 3, were visiting their father’s family in Alabama.

Baker, who was watching the house for his daughter, said he spent Tuesday evening at the home and left at 7 p.m., making sure all the doors were locked and that Fancy, the family pit bull, was taken care of.

The fire killed Fancy, who was found in the garage. Soot-covered stockings hung over the mantel, and Christmas presents were strewn across the living room. Damage was estimated at $150,000.

City fire investigators said evidence at the scene indicated the home had been burglarized.

In a news release issued late Wednesday, Columbia police said they contacted Samantha Baker Fitzmorris and determined that a 52-inch flat screen television was missing.

“Further investigation will be done to confirm that this incident may have been a burglary,” the release stated.

The fire was spotted by a Columbia police officer on patrol, and firefighters found flames coming from the basement when they arrived. Capt. Eric Hartman of the Columbia Fire Department said the basement area suffered the most damage.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.