1998 lawsuit brings scholarships to UM System

Thursday, January 21, 2010 | 5:15 p.m. CST; updated 10:42 a.m. CDT, Friday, April 30, 2010

COLUMBIA — The deadline is Feb. 15 to apply for up to $550 in scholarships to the University of Missouri System, according to a news release from the university.

The scholarships will come from a $10 million fund included in the settlement of a 1998 lawsuit brought by three students against the university. The students cited an 1872 Missouri law that required in-state students be provided tuition-free education, according to a previous Missourian report.


Related Articles

To qualify, a student must have been an undergraduate in the system between the 1995 spring semester and 2001 fall semester. Students must have been between the ages of 16 and 21 on the first day of one of the semesters during the time frame, according to the release. The scholarships are also available to children and spouses of qualifying students.

Scholarships will be provided in the form of a credit against current fees. More information and applications are available at the University of Missouri System Web site,

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.