advertisement

Unattended candle sparks fire in mobile home

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 | 10:26 a.m. CST; updated 10:35 p.m. CST, Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Columbia firefighters were called to Rustic Meadows Trailer Court at 2:24 a.m. on Wednesday for a report of a structure fire.

COLUMBIA — A fire caused by an unattended candle resulted in the destruction of a mobile home in Rustic Meadows Trailer Court on Range Line Street early Wednesday morning.

A man, who was not the owner of the home, fell asleep while reading by candlelight, Columbia Fire Capt. Eric Hartman said. When the man woke up sometime after 2 a.m., his bedding and coat were on fire. He left the house and called 911.

When firefighters arrived, flames were coming out of the front windows, Hartman said. The call came in at 2:24 a.m., and the fire was brought under control in 30 minutes.

No one was injured, Hartman said. The home is considered to be a total loss.

There were no working smoke alarms in the mobile home.

Five Columbia fire trucks, four staff officers, one ambulance from Boone County and a water tanker responded to the fire, Hartman said.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements