COLUMBIA — A fire caused by an unattended candle resulted in the destruction of a mobile home in Rustic Meadows Trailer Court on Range Line Street early Wednesday morning.
A man, who was not the owner of the home, fell asleep while reading by candlelight, Columbia Fire Capt. Eric Hartman said. When the man woke up sometime after 2 a.m., his bedding and coat were on fire. He left the house and called 911.
When firefighters arrived, flames were coming out of the front windows, Hartman said. The call came in at 2:24 a.m., and the fire was brought under control in 30 minutes.
No one was injured, Hartman said. The home is considered to be a total loss.
There were no working smoke alarms in the mobile home.
Five Columbia fire trucks, four staff officers, one ambulance from
Boone County and a water tanker responded to the fire, Hartman said.