Three escape cooking fire

Thursday, February 18, 2010 | 4:25 p.m. CST; updated 5:50 p.m. CST, Thursday, February 18, 2010

COLUMBIA — A woman and two children escaped a small cooking fire in north Columbia on Thursday morning.

Columbia and Boone County firefighters responded to the call at 1413 Bodie Drive at 11:56 a.m., according to a Columbia Fire Department news release. When they arrived, firefighters found smoke coming from the residence. Kathleen Burns, 24, and her two children, a 1-year-old and a 3-year-old, had already evacuated.

Smoke alarms

The Columbia Fire Department provides and installs smoke alarms free of charge to Columbia residents who cannot afford them. To set up an appointment call (573) 874-7556.

Burns was heating oil in a pan in her kitchen. When she left for a moment, the oil caught fire. Her smoke alarm went off, and she was able to get herself and her children out of the home. The fire caused limited damage, valued at less than $1,000.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.