COLUMBIA — Improperly discarded smoking materials have been determined as the cause of a house fire Thursday night, resulting in around $25,000 in damages, according to a Columbia Fire Department news release.
The fire occurred at the residence of Jeremy Crane and Megan Hane at 4117 Derby Ridge Drive. Columbia firefighters were called at 5:17 p.m. They arrived to find flames enveloping the rear of a single family home, and the fire was brought under control within 10 to 15 minutes.
Large fans were used to remove smoke and heat from inside the home. There was extensive fire damage to the rear of the house with moderate smoke damage throughout the main level. There were no injuries. Bob Graves owns the home, according to the release.
The Missourian previously reported that Hane was attending a parent-teacher conference event at Derby Ridge Elementary School across the street with her family when she was notified of the fire by neighbors. No one was home at the time of the fire.
The Boone County Chapter of the American Red Cross will be providing emergency assistance to the family.