advertisement

FDA to review complaints about Real Ham Bone for Dogs

Thursday, March 11, 2010 | 5:44 p.m. CST

ST. LOUIS — The Food and Drug Administration is looking into concerns that a Missouri-produced pet treat has caused serious illness or death in dogs.

An FDA spokesman said Thursday the government is reviewing complaints about Real Ham Bone For Dogs and, if warranted, will take appropriate action and notify the public.

The pet treat is sold throughout the U.S. and distributed under the Dynamic Pet Products label of Frick's Quality Meats in Washington, Mo.

The FDA encouraged consumers to report their concerns.

The Better Business Bureau in St. Louis said Thursday concerns arose after the bones splintered, sometimes blocking dogs' intestines.

The company said it was saddened to learn of the illnesses and deaths of customers' pets and that quality and safety are priorities. It said every package instructs owners to supervise pets consuming treats.

 


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Donna Rohrich March 19, 2010 | 3:08 p.m.

I am one of the customers who's dog ate the bone. She spent 4 days in hospital. Cost us almost $4,000.00. Contacted company about what happened. Was told by Ms. Sara Mades how sorry she was.To send her our bills, she'd check with vet and call us back. That didn't happen. Never heard from her again, instead got call from insurance investigator to come to house for tape recorded statement. All of that was sent to insurance company carrier. We all received denial letters from her insurance company implying that we were irresponsible pet owners for giving our dogs that bone. I don't see how they can say how sorry they are and then treat us like that.Just to let everyone know the company has changed their labels. Our labels that we kept doesn't include added words like fragment pieces, nor does it have the pet owner assumes all liability sentence on them. I just hope consumers can read the last sentence clearly before buying that bone. Sadly to say it's probably folded under and unable to be seen due to the shrink wrapping. Maybe consumers will see all the comments made on the internet and decide if there's that many warnings and restrictions on how to give the bone to pet, they will decide maybe this isn't such a good idea afterall. We can only hope they choose wisely.

(Report Comment)
Michele Headrick May 24, 2010 | 5:41 p.m.

hi my name is michele headrick and i live in cairo west virginia. on wednesday may 5th 2010 my beloved Pomeranian teddy died from the pet dynamic ham bone. i gave him the bone on saturday may 1st. i noticed the next day he was not able to keep any food down, for he would vomit it back up. i took him to the local emergency vet clinic which he prescribed an antibiotic and nausea medication. that night he was getting worse and i knew something was seriously wrong with my teddy. i pawned numerous items and borrowed money from friends and took him to his regular vet. he ran an xray and discovered the bone was lodged in his esophagus by his heart along with fluid build up near his heart and lungs. they taped his chest and ran a tube down his throat to try an push the object into his stomach. the operation was unsuccessful. my poor baby was having fluid build up again and a high temperature. my dog suffered terribly. so with much sadness in heart and many tears rolling down my cheek i kissed and hugged my beloved teddy one last time and had him put to sleep

(Report Comment)
Ginger V September 6, 2011 | 12:57 p.m.

Adding my story, because I know how it feels to be panicked over your pet ingesting some of this idiotic dog "toy."

My poor tiny pitbull mix gnawed off the ends of the Real Ham Bone and I was worried sick after reading horror stories about them online.

My little dog has been sleepy, and had diarrhea, but she is doing OK. She's lucky she's a big enough dog, though: I've gone through her poop and found little shards of bone that I can't imagine a weiner dog being able to pass.

It's a travesty these are available at stores -- if similar products were affecting people, there's no way in he** they would still be on shelves.

(Report Comment)

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements