Karl Skala, 63, has served as the Third Ward council member since 2007.
Skala is retired from MU, where he
worked on various research projects throughout his 18-year career
there. He has a master's degree in psychology from MU. Skala is a
member of the Columbia Chamber of Commerce, and he has been nominated
for a number of national panels and committees including the National
League of Cities City Futures Panel on Democratic Governance and the
National League of Cities Leadership Training Institute Leadership
Training Council. Skala wants to further discussion on the balance of
power between the City Council and the city manager. His biggest issues
are public safety in the neighborhoods, better jobs and city services,
and responsive city government.
- Our detailed profile of Skala
- His video responses to 11 questions on city issues
- Skala holds Third Ward campaign kick-off
- Skala files re-election petition for City Council seat
ADDRESS: 5201 Gasconade Drive
PERSONAL: Age 63. Skala is married to Mahree Skala. They have two daughters and a son. Skala’s daughters live and work out of state, and his son attends Missouri University of Science and Technology in Rolla.
OCCUPATION: Retired from MU, where he worked in areas pertaining to psychology, neurology and various research fields. He has been Third Ward councilman since 2007.
EDUCATION: Graduate of electronics and aviation radar repair in 1967 from the U.S. Marine Corps Communications and Electronics School in San Diego; bachelor’s degree in psychology, with a biology minor, in 1977 from Southern Illinois University, Carbondale; certification in biomechanics of human movement in 1984 from Massachusetts Institute of Technology; master’s degree in psychology in 1986 from MU.
- U.S. Marine Corps, served from 1966 to 1970.
- Member of the National League of Cities City Futures Panel on Democratic Governance, 2009 to present.
- Member and former vice-chairman of Columbia Planning and Zoning Commission, 1999 to 2005.
- Member and former chairman of the Boone County/Columbia Environment and Energy Commission, 1999 to present.
- Citizens for Times and Responsible Road Infrastructure Financing (TARRIF), founder and current member, 2005 to present.
- Columbia Chamber of Commerce and Government Affairs Committee.
- Hominy Branch Neighborhood Alliance, founder, former chairman and current member.
- Member of the board of directors for the Meadowlands Homeowners Association. Founder and former chairman.
ON THE WEB
Skala’s campaign Web site is skalaforcouncil.com.