COLUMBIA – The Columbia Chamber of Commerce has released the names of five of the six members of a group that recommended city council candidates for endorsement. Before Friday's board of director's meeting, chamber representatives had refused to disclose any members of the task force.
The chamber endorsed Bob McDavid for mayor, Gary Kespohl for the Third Ward seat and Daryl Dudley for the Fourth Ward seat on the Columbia City Council. It was the first time in the chamber's history that it has endorsed candidates.
Late Friday, the chamber identified these members of its Endorsement Task Force:
- Randy Coil, Endorsement Task Force chair, chamber board of directors member, president of Coil Construction;
- Scott Ward, senior vice-president and general manager of chemical services at ABC Laboratories;
- Alice Leeper, co-chair of the chambers government affairs committee, broker and salesperson for RE/MAX Boone Realty;
- Paul Land, chair-elect of the chamber board of directors, vice-president of Plaza Real Estate Services;
- Karen Brown, chamber board of directors member, president of Boone-Central Title Company.
Chamber President Don Laird said the final member would not be named until he or she could be reached for approval.
The list of names is "fairly representative" of the chamber's members, Laird said. "We can't be totally representative, but I think it was a good group."
The chamber's board of directors approved the task force recommendations at its February meeting. Coil presented on behalf of the task force, and after some discussion, the board moved and approved the recommendations. The minutes are unclear on how the vote went.
"To my knowledge, there were no nays," Laird said in a previous Missourian report.