COLUMBIA — With all of the Earth Day celebrations, some might wonder exactly how they can contribute to sustainability. A simple way to start is by recycling this newspaper by doing one of these five techniques.
1) Newspapers can be made into pots for plants. Not only is it cheap to plant this way, but it is also keeping trash out of landfills. To do this, take a sheet of newspaper and fold it in half, then in half again. It should be about the length of a soda can. Wrap the newspaper around a can, and then fold in one end of the newspaper. Pull the newspaper from the can, pat down the bottom and pour the soil in the paper to start planting.
2) Another way to make use of newspaper is to use it to potty train puppies. Place the newspaper right inside of the door for the puppy to use, but still encourage it to go outside. It will start associating that it needs to use the newspaper, which is when the newspaper should be moved outside. Eventually, newspapers will no longer be required and the puppy will go outside without the paper.
3) Newspaper can work as an odor remover. Shoes are damp and warm, an environment that bacteria thrives in, which then causes the shoe odor. Stuff wads of the newspaper in the shoes and leave overnight.The newspaper will absorb the moisture, killing the bacteria and the odor.
This also works for old boxes, trunks or luggage.
4) Newspaper can be turned into card stock for projects and gifts. Tear up the newspaper, soak it in warm water until it becomes pulp, then spread the pulp on an old window screen and cover it in a piece of fabric. After it dries, it can be used as regular paper.
5) One final way to recycle newspaper is to use it as weed block in a garden. Lay out the newspaper, and cover it with mulch. It will help to block out weeds and keep moisture in the garden.
6) Make a kite.