ST. LOUIS — The former Elephant House at the Saint Louis Zoo will be reopened as a major exhibition hall.
The hall, which dates to 1917, once housed the zoo's elephant population, as well as two hippos and a rhinoceros.
The zoo's elephant herd now lives in another section that has hills, shade trees, a river and a pond.
The renovation of the building, named Peabody Hall, was made possible by a $2.5 million gift from St. Louis-based Peabody Energy. The hall has been expanded to 5,000 square feet and is accessible for the disabled.
The first event in the hall will be Zootennial, an exhibit to celebrate the zoo's 100-year anniversary. It will open May 15.