COLUMBIA — Unattended cooking oil caused a fire in Gatehouse Apartments on Tuesday, according to a Columbia Fire Department news release.
Fire crews arrived at apartment 620 around 10:18 p.m. They found a small fire in the kitchen and brought it under control within five minutes.
Tyra Holmes and her three children, ages 3 to 8 years old, were in the apartment at the time. Holmes told fire crews that while she was cooking hash browns, oil boiled over on the stove top and caught fire. She attempted to control the fire with flour but then evacuated. There were no injuries.
The third floor of the building was evacuated for approximately 10 minutes while fire crews removed the remaining smoke from the apartment.
The fire department estimated the damage at $1,000.
While fire units managed the scene, Columbia Police arrived to investigate a report of a shooting victim at Gatehouse Apartments. It was determined that the report was unfounded; the two events were unrelated.