Unattended cooking oil cause of fire Gatehouse Apartments

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 | 10:57 a.m. CDT

COLUMBIA — Unattended cooking oil caused a fire in Gatehouse Apartments on Tuesday, according to a Columbia Fire Department news release.

Fire crews arrived at apartment 620 around 10:18 p.m. They found a small fire in the kitchen and brought it under control within five minutes.

Tyra Holmes and her three children, ages 3 to 8 years old, were in the apartment at the time. Holmes told fire crews that while she was cooking hash browns, oil boiled over on the stove top and caught fire. She attempted to control the fire with flour but then evacuated. There were no injuries.

The third floor of the building was evacuated for approximately 10 minutes while fire crews removed the remaining smoke from the apartment.

The fire department estimated the damage at $1,000.

While fire units managed the scene, Columbia Police arrived to investigate a report of a shooting victim at Gatehouse Apartments. It was determined that the report was unfounded; the two events were unrelated.


Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.